Book Back Pain Consult
Active Physio Health provides help for lower back pain to the local areas of Gladstone, Tannum Sands, Biloela, Boyne Island, Calliope, Miriam Vale, Agnes Water & Rockhampton.
Lower back pain is an extremely common condition with up to 80% of the population experiencing back pain at some time during the lives. Although the underlying pathology of low back pain is usually not serious, it is an important cause of pain in the community and has considerable impact on the economy due to time taken off work. Whilst the vast majority of patients with back pain will recover within 6 weeks, a small number will go on to develop chronic back pain and a gradual deterioration of functionality.
Causes of Lower Back Pain
Most causes of back pain are the result of irritation or poor function of the bones, joints, ligaments or muscles in your back. Such irritation can be the result of Vertebral dysfunction, a common condition that occurs when the spinal vertebrae compress or irritate the delicate nerve structures of your lower back.
Other causes of lower back pain include inflammatory arthritis (e.g. ankylosis spondylitis, Rheumatoid arthritis), and fractures due to osteoporosis. Back pain may also be ‘referred’ from another location.
Less common conditions causing low back pain include cancer (usually from another source such as the prostate or lung), serious infections and compression of the spinal cord.
Assessment of Lower Back Pain
Your Physiotherapist will perform a detailed history, orthopaedic, neurological and spinal examination to determine the exact cause of your lower back pain. Other tests including x-rays and digital scanning may also be recommended.
Treatment of Lower Back Pain
Physiotherpay treatment of low back pain focuses on restoring function to poorly moving spinal joints, as well as reducing muscle tension and increasing muscle strength. This results in improved movement, reduced pain and deceased nerve irritation.
Treatments are tailored to the individual case usually consisting of spinal and soft tissue mobilisation, core stabilization advice, strengthening exercises, stretching and heat/cold therapy.
Please contact us to arrange your comprehensive lower back consultation to help identify the exact cause of your back pain and begin a course of corrective care today!
The Better Back Program is specifically designed for back pain patients who need a highly structured, individual, and research-based program to regain mobility, strength, core stability and general fitness.
People who would benefit from the program
- Back pain sufferers in need of increased core stability and strength to regain function.
- De-conditioned patients in need of an increase in independent activity and fitness levels.
- Worker’s compensation patients who have reached a plateau with hands on therapy and management.
- Chronic pain sufferers who are becoming more inactive and pain focused.
- Patients who have had orthopaedic surgery for lumbar spine problems and need more active intervention.
- Post natal women needing to regain core stability and strength.
- Back Pain patients needing to lose weight and improve fitness to reduce blood pressure, depression and fatigue.
What is involved…
This comprehensive program involves a detailed 1 hour initial assessment followed by the implementation of a structured exercise and rehabilitation program. The program is broken into 4 distinct stages:
- Alignment / CV Fitness: Flexibility, range of motion and general fitness.
- Inner Unit / CV Fitness: inner core muscle control and general fitness.
- Outer Unit – CV Fitness: larger muscle groups, more advanced exercises and more specific fitness.
- Maintenance / Athletic: more advanced program to allow return to sport and work situations.
A typical consultation session will involve 30 minutes of specific one-on-one supervision by the therapist followed by 20-30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise using state of the art equipment.
The program involves a commitment from you to attend sessions 2-3 times each week for a minimum of 4 weeks.
No Lock-in Contracts!
There are no lock-in contracts so you can suspend the program at any time should you be going on holidays or are unable to attend for a short period – a home exercise program will be given to ensure continued success.
- Initial Physiotherapy Assessment and Program Design (1 hour)
- Treatment / Exercise Consultation Sessions (30mins plus CV time)
- Private health fund rebates are available for all consults. Insurance patients are billed directly to the insurer.